Wiang Kum Kam is an ancient city that was built in the reign of King Mengrai in 1286. The city was surrounded by ditches in every corner and they were used as reservoirs. From the discoveries, there are 20 ancient remains in and around Wiang Kum Kam include buildings and temples of Wat Chedi Liam, Wat Chang Kham, Wat Noi, Wat Pu Pia, Wat Ku Khao, Wat E Kang, Wat Hua Nong, and Wat Pu Song. The remains are dating from 21st –22nd Buddhist centuries.
Wiang Kum Kam is located in the southeast of Chiang Mai, between Km.3-4 along Chiang Mai-Lamphun route, Tambon Wang Tan, Saraphi district. Take the road at Nong Hoi Polce box to the Ko Klang Pa Kluai intersection and en route to Chedi Liam Police box. Wiang Kum Kam Information Center Tel: 0 5327 7322
Wat Chedi Liam or Chedi Ku Kham was built in 1288 in the reign of King Mengrai after he had authorised an administrative responsibility of Lamphun town to his minister, Aey Fah. King Mengrai established a town in the northeast of Chiang Mai for 5 years and then resettled a town near the Mae Ping River in 1277 and renamed it “Wiang Kum Kam”. In 1287, the stupa of Wat Jamthewi, Lamphun was rebuilt in Wiang Kum Kam for the locals to worship.
After that for hundreds years, the temple was left abandoned. In 1908, a Burmese tycoon renovated it, thus the temple has influences of Burmese architecture instead of its former Khmer style. Only some parts were rebuilt in Khmer architecture.